Just nine months after I released Seems Unreal, the extent to which creators are using AI today is honestly amazing. Here are a few of my predictions about AI in 2023.
- AI-enhanced music composition and production enables everyone to create any style of music, with any orchestration and arrangement, in seconds. #ChatGPT is already writing chords, tab for guitar solos, lyrics etc. Amper, Aiva, and Ecrett are on this path.
- Create and alter infinite and evolving AI-generated VR worlds with rich and dynamic characters all from simple speech prompts in real-time. Imagine a holodeck like experience with a wearable device that is only limited by your imagination. "Create an original Sherlock Holmes mystery in which I'm the detective, set in London, 1884. Warm summer night. Medium difficulty. Begin program."
- “World simulators” that predict societal and natural outcomes based on incredibly complex, dynamic, and disparate data sources. How will a dip in US grain production in '23 affect the birth rate in Argentina? What are the ten most likely causes of WW3? How will human societies around the world react to the full disclosure of the existence of non-aggressive extraterrestrial beings?
- Thousands of niche personal assistants, tailored to specific industries and needs. An AI media consultant who listens to interviews in real-time and advises a CEO with relevant data and talking points. AI defense attorneys who have deeper understanding of relevant case law than judges.
- AI-enhanced scientific research that finds more effective vaccines for all known contagious diseases. We're already seeing AI used in this way, for example: "Artificial intelligence model finds potential drug molecules a thousand times faster"
- Computational resources for AI data centers become the limit to the adoption of the technology. As our daily use of AI grows, how will the data centers (AWS, Google Cloud, etc.) possibly keep up? Expect this to become more of a geopolitical issue next year. See: "U.S. Said to Plan New Limits on China's A.I. and Supercomputing Firms"
- Automation and job displacement: As AI technologies continue to advance, it is likely that they will be increasingly used to automate various tasks and processes, potentially leading to job displacement in certain industries. This could have significant economic and social implications, and it will be important for governments and other organizations to address these issues in a fair and equitable manner.
- Improvement of decision-making: AI can be used to analyze large amounts of data quickly and accurately, which can help improve decision-making in various fields such as healthcare, finance, and transportation. For example, AI algorithms could be used to analyze medical records and help doctors make more accurate diagnoses, or to identify patterns in financial data and help investment firms make better investment decisions.
- Personalization of products and services: AI can be used to personalize products and services to better meet the needs and preferences of individual users. For example, AI-powered personal assistants can learn about an individual's interests and habits over time and suggest content or products that may be of interest to them.
- Ethical considerations: As AI continues to play a larger role in society, it will be important to consider the ethical implications of its development and use. This includes issues such as privacy, bias, and the potential for AI to be used for malicious purposes.
I'm fascinated by new technologies and the impact they have on society. That's one of the reasons I work to support the development and adoption of decentralized tech. — Mark
After I wrote the above, I asked ChatGPT to respond to this prompt: "You're playing the role of a tech writer. How will AI impact human society in 2023?" Here's what it replied:
"It is difficult for me to accurately predict the specific ways in which artificial intelligence (AI) will impact human society in 2023, as the development and adoption of AI technologies can vary widely depending on a number of factors such as economic conditions, technological advancements, and social and political dynamics. However, I can provide some general thoughts on how AI may potentially impact society in the coming years:
Overall, it is likely that AI will have a significant impact on society in the coming years, and it will be important for individuals, organizations, and governments to carefully consider the potential consequences and take appropriate steps to mitigate any negative effects."
What are your AI-related predictions for 2023? Let me know!